Nickie Coby (puppybraille) wrote,
Nickie Coby

Some additional thoughts on surgery

I'm still not really able to write amazingly well. because of the way I have to sit, I'm typing sideways, and can't really write for really long periods of time. Controlling the pain is somewhat challenging to say the least, but it feels good not to have the screws moving inside my foot. They've been sterilized and are in a Ziploc in my top desk drawer. My official words when I felt them were "No wonder that hurt!" I thought they were little tiny pins, but they were actually screws of about two inches in length. And there were two of them! I used to feel them moving inside me in the last few weeks, and now, at least, I don't need them.

I'm mainly experiencing RSD pain, and some itching and pain at the actual site of the incision. It's a lot more pain than I'd like, but considering some more of what I'm going to tell y'all in a minute, that shouldn't be a surprise. So, here's the story:

The surgery wasn't really so bad... I was nervous, and even overslept, but did get everything under control, including getting some clear liquids before the cut-off time.
I worked on relaxation a lot. I worked really hard at not working hard, if you know what I mean. The last time I had surgery, my blood pressure was 150/100. This time, it was only 135/99. That's still high, but I'll take the improvements where I can get them.

I'd say the staff members I interacted with, especially the nurses were wonderful. I taught a few people how to guide a blind person through a narrow area. I was explicit about information I needed, such as needing to be oriented to what was around me, or what they were doing. For the most part, that was handled very nicely.

The IV insertion was one of the most straightforward ones I've had. The nurse actually inserted it into the vein in my right wrist. I later explained the reasoning for the right arm to my doctor, when while they were working with me on the opperating table, someone commented on it. I appreciated that my doctor was willing to learn from me. I wish I had one of those cool blanket warmers (cool is not in reference to the temperature). I'd love one on these cold days... I remember the nurse injecting the anti-nausea medication, and maybe the sedation, then waking up and being cold. They tried to keep me warm. I just remember feeling out of control, but they were very reassuring. My Mom, sister and Julio came back, and I remember talking to my doctor.. That's when I got my screws, and when I found out that litterally in the middle of the surgery, my RSD kicked in. She said that my foot went from warm to cold and clammy really quickly. She said that was probably the pain I was feeling. I got the impression I shouldn't have felt her squeezing my toes, since she'd used lots of local anesthetic, but I could. I'm a little concerned, but for now will do the best I can to care for myself and keep the pain and swelling under control. If things get bad, I know i can call for help.

Now, the trick is, like I said, resting. Sleep has been difficult to get. I am glad the screws are out. It does feel nice not feeling them in there. Like I said, I had no idea they were so big!

  • Post a new comment


    default userpic
    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.