Nickie Coby (puppybraille) wrote,
Nickie Coby

I'd say evacuating a building with a needle in your back is a healthy fear...

Yesterday I did need the lumbar sympathetic block. I'm always amazed at how my foot seems to inflate like a baloon hooked up to an exhaust pipe, and I'm even more amazed it never explodes with the swelling I've had before some of these blocks.

Yesterday's block went well, and my foot responded quickly and strongly to the block. This is a very helpful and comfortable thing, because it means the pain goes down. During the injection, we were talking (that always makes me nervous because I'm afraid I'll move). Julio, being more popular or well-known than I, came up in conversation, as did Marley and Me. Then, they were telling me about how there was a fire drill and everyone had to evacuate that morning. I hope I don't offend too many people when I say that that experience would have royally sucked. Especially if it was during an injection.

For those who aren't aware, the injection is into the lumbar (lower back) area. It requires the pants to go down (not too far) and the shirt to go up to about the lower ribs. It requires that you have temperature probes, attached to wires, stuck to your feet. It also requires x-rays and a needle going past skin or deeper tissues. For me, it's done while I'm awake, since it really doesn't bother me. So, basically, a fire drill would not have been fun.

I also think I scared the doctor unintentionally. The conversation got quiet (hey, I don't want to distract him), and I was trying not to breathe too strongly, because I didn't want my back to move. Luckily, he asked if I was okay (which I was), so everything was fine. Then, I went into recovery and ate oreos and apple juice. It's sad that it's basically routine now.

I had to do range of motion exercises during recovery so that my ankle won't stiffen up. That's worried me lately, but I hope it will get better once I get into normal shoes and out of the evil boot.

The block worked, because I slept from 6 PM until 11 PM and 12 AM until 6 AM. That's not counting the time spent sleeping on the way home.

As I said in recovery, after these, I just grab an ice pack and crash. Also, my blood pressure stayed in the close to normal range. It went up briefly after the injection, but was back to good when I left around a half hour later. The temperature change was good, and the pain is down enough that I can walk without wanting to yell.

That's where I was yesterday and why I didn't update.

Tags: health, rsd sucks, sleep

  • Go fly a… Magazine

    This is something I hear my sighted friends complain about, they say "There's nothing I want in here!" Delta airlines likes to send out letters…

  • 2013: A year of changes, challenges and progress

    It's that time of year, the time when everyone writes posts like this, reflects on the year and says what they're going to do differently next year.…

  • It's radical

    Radical acceptance is one of the toughest things I've worked on in DBT. It's hard to look at a situation and say "it is what it is." That always…

  • Post a new comment


    default userpic
    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.