Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous entry | Next Entry

I'd prefer bordum

This has been such a long day! After three long days in a row, I was hoping that today would be relatively calm. I only had a chiropractor appointment and an acupuncture appointment scheduled. But this morning, we noticed that my foot and whole lower leg were swollen against the cast.

My acupuncturist knows a lot of medical stuff, and she has quite a bit of medical training, both Western and Eastern. She said I should call my surgeon. So, while I was being treated, Mom called the doctor. I got an appointment for 2:30 in the afternoon.

By the time we got out of acupuncture, it was 12:30. Mom and I grabbed sandwiches, but I was too nervous to eat much. We got to the doctor early, but it ended up being much longer than we expected.

The doctor's office is getting used to a new computer system. It took a while to get checked in. Then, there was a back-up in the casting room. When I finally got into the room, it was very difficult to get the cast off because the swelling was so big. Can those who understand rsd say ouch!?

The doctor said she thought it was just swelling due to a flare of rsd, but because I'd been in a cast so long, I needed to have an ultrasound to rule out a blood clot. She also said they couldn't put me back in a cast because the swelling was too great.

So, she made a dressing that covers the pins in my heel and sent me to get x-rayed. The x-ray looked okay, so she put me in a walking boot, but since I still have the pins I can't walk. The good thing, though, is that I can start wearing LidoDerm patches! Hallelujah! By this time, I've been at the doctor's office 2 and a half hours! For some reason, I also have a low grade fever, so I'm really thirsty.

Mom and I headed out and found something to drink. I gulped it down and talked to our prayer leader on the way to the hospital (not the same one I had for surgery). Are you all dizzy and tired yet, because I sure am. By this point, I'm actually hoping it's rsd swelling, because I don't need a blood clot. I've never hoped for anything to be rsd related before because it usually means it's more complicated.

The ultrasound was uneventful. It was painful, simply because the touch sensitivity has spread, and the lady who did it didn't think I should flex my foot (with pins in it, I can't imagine why), so she had to squeeze my calf. It was cool, though, because I got to hear my blood being pumped through my leg. When she squeezed my leg, I heard a woosh sound. Very neat!

So, needless to say, I'm very tired. I hope I sleep well tonight, because I really do need it after today. I'm very glad I do NOT have a blood clot though! I hope no one else's day was quite this eventful!


( 3 shots of espresso — Add a shot of espresso )
Jun. 27th, 2006 02:06 am (UTC)
Ugh. I'm so sorry. I feel for you in the pain department, and also having to go through all that! Praying you get better soon, and that the swelling gets under control.
Hugs that don't cause you more discomfort.
Jun. 28th, 2006 02:41 am (UTC)
Oh my! I have been down the same path, Nickie. The casts that I had hoped would be removed - ended up being replaced. OUCH. Sadly, I've had the scare a blood clot and must be on aspirin the rest of my days - as a precaution. Here's hoping that you can get some rest and recuperate from your busy schedule.
Jun. 28th, 2006 03:12 am (UTC)
I'm not sure if when you had the casts, they were on RSD-affected, but I have to say the cutting is awful. I'm sorry yours weren't taken off when you'd hoped. Your wishes for rest are very appreciated!
( 3 shots of espresso — Add a shot of espresso )


Latest Month

November 2018
Powered by LiveJournal.com
Designed by Lilia Ahner